London Times

London Times

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Shakespeare and more Shakespeare

While the Globe Theater is an amazing place and I have learned all the interesting facts about it, like that it took an American to start the funding to rebuild the Globe after it had burned down...And it is and will always be only five pounds for a groundling ticket into each show produced. Yep I am learning a few things while I'm over here, but after my first show at the Globe which was Merry Wives of Windsor that I enjoyed very much, I really did not have a desire to go back and stand for another 3 hour play. Nonetheless it was King Henry IV. Not as entertaining as the comedy. So still trying to get my bearings around school and a new city, I decided that I didn't want to go to King Henry - as I believed it wasn't required for my class, Theater in London, but knew it was for the Page to Stage kids, oh boy was I wrong. It was after I took a nice relaxing trip down to Hammersmith (one tube stop away that has a few stores) to pick up a bottle of red wine and some pretzels, that I received a call from Gary. Well you can imagine how that conversation went, Gary - "where are you?" Me - "Hammersmith, the play is only required for Page to Stage right?" Gary - "No." To myself - SHIT, to Gary - "okay I'm coming." Well I booked it to the tube station and hoped for no delays on the way. However I then realized that I had just bought a bottle of wine and I would most likely not be able to bring that into the Globe. So I had to return it and then book it to the tube. I made the trip, sweaty, but I made it. OOO and for all the Harry Potter buffs I definitely booked it across the Millennium Bridge (6th movie) which was a little thrilling and annoying that I couldn't enjoy the view that it allows for. I suppose I don't regret the experience, not even the play, because fortunately for us it didn't rain at all! And since the Globe is an open ceiling, only the more expensive tickets will get you a cover and a seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment